Friday, May 20, 2011

I read the news today....oh boy

When Lorne and I got together, I had told him that I didn't want to know the details of how he came to be incarcerated until I was able to tell him that I loved him.  The day that I told him, he sat down to write out the story of how he came to be in prison.  He gave me all the details I needed.  It was hard to believe that Lorne, my kind, gentle, Lorne killed a man.  Lorne remembers very little of that night.  I think that is a combination of the brutal beating he sustained (that culminated in him having his jaw wired shut for six weeks) and the emotional trauma of being viciously attacked like he was. 
As our relationship develops and unfolds, he sends me things.  One of the things that I asked him to send me was any legal paperwork he has for the blog.  Today I received the first packet of legal paperwork.  The first and largest chunk was the transcripts form his sentencing hearing.  This was probably the most painful of the documents to read since it included victim impact statements from the family members of the man who Lorne killed as well as his other victim, the one of whom he assaulted.  Certainly these are gut wrenching statements from family members who are mourning the loss of their loved ones.  However, the story that the prosecutor presented at sentencing was that Lorne was a vicious killing machine, hell bent of taking the life of someone that night.  It was difficult for me to see Lorne being portrayed that way.  That could not possibly be MY Lorne they were talking about.  Attached to that was some of the support letters for Lorne..all of them portrayed Lorne as I know him to be.  Hardworking, intelligent and someone who is devoted and faithful to his friends and family.  So Lorne's conviction stands as thus...Count 1 Voluntary Manslaughter 120 months; 24 mos. minimum before he can be eligible for parole.  Another 120 month term to be served consecutively as a use of a deadly weapons enhancement.  Count II Attempted murder with use of a deadly weapon, 240 months; 48 month minimum before he can be parole eligible...another 240 months for the weapons enhancement; 48 month minimum before he can be eligible for parole.  Count II runs consecutive to Count I.  30 years total before Lorne will see the light of day.  30 years because he had the gall to fight back after he was brutally beaten by 3 people who were drunk and high.  The prosecutors portrayed them as people just hanging out having a good time...the coroners report paints a very different picture, but that is for another blog posting. 

No comments: