Saturday, August 27, 2011

Settling in...

Well Lorne is settling in down at Southern Desert.  He still hates it, not that I blame him.  For being a supposedly newer facility, it actually is worse for the inmates than NSP was.  There are far fewer phones per inmate...or should I say working phones.  The other day Lorne called and the connection was absolutely terrible, all full of static and there was even some crossover from other conversations! I think there are two or three phones on his tier, but only one was functional.  On the upside, he did get over to the gym the other day and worked out and he said that he felt much better afterwards.  Because of his eating less, he's also dropped almost 17 pounds since he was transferred. 

His grievances that he filed as a result of his cell searches, damaged property and loss of religious materials have all been denied.  Not surprising especially since it appears that the warden didn't even read the grievances and just decided to add his interpretation of the facts (mixing up dates and times, etc) when denying Lorne's grievance.  The letters that I have sent to the warden at NSP asking for his assistance in these matters have been met with zero responses other than, (I'm going to paraphrase here) I work with fine, professional officers who have an excellent work ethic and your fiancee is making unfounded accusations.  Not a single question that I asked was given a response...not a one.  The fact of the matter is, while I understand that everyone perceives events differently, his continued reluctance to answer even the simplest of questions gives ME the perception that he is hiding or tying to cover up a very big screw up on the part of his officers. 

For me personally, this has been a trying time.  The lack of phone access (and no money to put on the phones) means contact with Lorne is even more limited.  Our discussions have a tendency to focus on doing things for him, updating him on outside assistance and him requesting me to do more stuff for him.  Little sharing of thoughts and feelings and the day to day stuff is ever done. 

I have a feeling that it will be Lorne and only Lorne who can get himself out of that place.  Let's hope he's a fast learner.

2 comments:

Bigbloo said...

Hi Erika,
My name is john Werner. I was at NSP for many years with Lorne. I know him well, and know all of the trouble that he is having first hand. I was part of the original group that fought for and won the religious rights for the Wiccans in the Nevada system, and who kept fighting for them over and over. If you would like to talk, maybe I can help some. Tell Lorne "Big Bloo" says Hi.
John

Unknown said...

Thanks John, I will. There is a link on the right side of the page for Sacred Circle's Inmate Ministry Program. Click on the link, we would love to have your input!