Friday, June 3, 2011

It's the little things that count

Lorne amuses me to no end.  He is such a funny guy and has a sweet, childlike quality about him at times.  Today I ordered a food package for him and his choices always amuse me.  Of course there are the usual things, turkey summer sausage, powdered milk, garlic powder...typical stuff.  However, he had his heart set on some candy.  Of course they were out of it (just like the last time too) but he wanted some of those Sugar Free sours like no tomorrow...and of course the whining that followed when I told him that they were out was cute.

From time to time, when I was a volunteer on the inside, it was a running joke during rituals that I always brought roasted garlic Triscuits and apple juice.  For four years the guys looked forward to those items.  Certainly I was just able to go into a store and buy them but I had no idea what a treat they were to the guys.  I always brought a lot more than I needed because it wasn't often that they guys got REAL apple juice and you can just forget ever seeing Triscuits inside.  They devoured the 3 boxes I usually brought and the gallon of apple juice went quickly as well.  I never worried about leftovers...NEVER!

It is at times like these that the deprivation our inmates experience is on a whole different level than what we experience out here.  If we don't have something we like, we just go to the store and buy it...if it is something we want but choose not to, then that is our choice.  Inmates aren't so luck.  They must rely on the commissary system within the state of NV for their needs and the quarterly food packages to add a bit of variety to their diets. 

I hope the next quarter they have those sour candies...I think it would be awesome if Lorne was able to have some.

No comments: