Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Big Move...

Last night around 10:30pm, I received a phone call from Lorne...was he ever in a panic! wouldn't let me talk, his voice was very insistent that I just listen until he got a chance to tell me what he needed to tell me.  And his news? he was being "rolled up" (prison slang for pack your stuff, you are going on a road trip) and being sent to Southern Desert Correctional Center in the morning. 
Lorne has been preparing for this physically by getting rid of alot of his stuff or shipping out things to me for safekeeping.  However, I don't think he spent any time at all preparing mentally because he was absolutely panicked...and I mean PANICKED!...I thought he was going to cry, I truly did.  Lorne likes stability and routine and certainly this move destabilizes the life that he has created for himself on the inside and now he has to create a new life all over again.  Also, each prison has its own "personality".  Now he has to re-learn the personality of this facility and that can be daunting and sometimes even dangerous.  Mis-steps can be painful, physically and emotionally. 
Needless to say, he was unable to fit all his "stuff" into the designated containers (a box and a duffle bag) and had to part with several pieces of clothing, and of course to me, its just stuff, easily replaced (and it will be, not a big deal) but it was heartbreaking to see him so emotionally overwrought by all this.  All he kept saying was "I want to come home, I want to come home".  And of course home for Lorne is Las Vegas...talk about being the carrot at the end of the stick! Let's put him within an hours drive of the ONE place Lorne wants to be...
For those of you who were following Lorne's issue with the cell searches and the subsequent "loss" of his religious materials, I am sure that NDOC is hoping that I will just go away.  I am sure that they are thinking that now that he is gone from NSP that they no longer bear any responsibility for the loss of his materials.  However, they are wrong.  It was the regime at NSP that allowed this to happen and they will be held accountable for taking away an inmates religious materials.  It doesn't matter to me that Lorne isn't there anymore.  It matters that there appears to be systemic corruption in the way that NSP continually plays fast and loose with their own rules and regulations.  It matters that they be held accountable for their wrongs just like Lorne was when he was put in prison.  You can't tell people "when you do bad things you get locked up" and then act all surprised when people try and hold you accountable. 

Mama didn't raise no fool.....

No comments: